Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sunrise Salutations

As the weather reports call for another storm - this one could last for 30 hours - I can only think of two things: spring and my cat, who seems to have gone missing.

Two years ago I recall coming home from Easter vacation and there were dwarf irises popping out of the lakeside garden. Easter was in April then. This year we're celebrating in just 2 weeks and some of the snow drifts are 4 - 5 feet tall! I don't think I'm going to see any flowers until May this year.

Yesterday the Boys came and shovelled the snow from our roof. There must have been 4 feet of snow up there. I let the cat out shortly before they got started. I haven't seen her since. She's semi-feral I guess one could say. She lives and sleeps outside and for most of the year, she eats inside and takes naps sometimes too. She likes me and my partner and runs when confronted with others. She heard the Boys making noise outside and was getting freaked out so I let her out so she could find a hidey-hole somewhere and ride out the roof shovelling. Being the morbid person that I can be at times, I wonder if an avalanche of roof snow took her life yesterday. My partner gave me "the eye" this morning saying she most likely had run off before the snow was moved. She's been gone before and she'll be back.

I'll let my sculpture, "Sunrise Salutations" be the inspiration for this moment in time - to give us all hope that spring is coming and soon we will be able to warm ourselves in the rays of the sun.

Sunrise Salutations - 1999. Sculpture in porcelain. 28 cm x 10 cm.


No comments: