Friday, March 14, 2008

Say Cheese!

Covered Cheese Dish -19 cm x 11 cm. Stoneware. Wax resist design.



Covered Cheese Dish - an inside view.

Spirals occur naturally and everywhere it seems, like in plants, seashells, on the body, in bodies of water, mathematics and the galaxy. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Oh, yes, in pottery making too.

If you watch someone working on the wheel, you'll notice right away that when starting in the centre of the bottom of a pot, the act of compressing the clay down and out creates a spiral. I've always found myself drawn to shapes and designs that are soft and flow, like paisley, egg shapes, ovals and spirals. The petals of a flower are a spiral and I loved to draw flowers as a child - dahlias, specifically, with their close knit sprial of petals in vibrant colours like crimson!

I've also read that the spiral is an ancient symbol of woman and the endless flow of energy in the Universe.

The energies were very good yesterday for us. I finally located our cat, Ti-min. It turns out that she was trapped under the shed. The snow that came off the roof last week fell all around the shed, trapping the cat underneath. Poor wee thing! She certainly doesn't seem traumatized though. Thankfully I hadn't given up hope that she was still alive. When I went outside yesterday for some fresh air, I called out for her in hopes she would appear, then I heard her meow! I listened hard because at first I thought I was imagining it, but no, it was her. I traced the sound to the shed and discovered that she was trapped under it. I shoveled a path through a four foot drift and then dug a hole at the corner of the shed. After her fear of the shoveling noises, fresh air and/or sunshine left her, she appeared at the door for food. Man, that cat has had 9 lives for sure. I know of at least 2 that she's used so far.

3 comments:

canuck_cougar said...

Beautiful, simply gorgeous! I wish there was an easy way for you to bring some pots to the 'Peg in May.

Lisa-Marie said...

Yesh, me too. I'm bringing Colin and Barb's dinnerware (just plates) and one bowl in my carry on bag. It's possible I may be able to take one other item. Did you have something specific in mind?

canuck_cougar said...

ummm...everything!? OK, a covered garlic dish. Do you have one in a sky blue or creamy white? Thanks for asking.