Monday, March 10, 2008

New Photos

I have a small bunch of new photos! JF and I worked on getting a series of them done recently so I could have something to send along with my application to 1001 Pots. This summertime event runs from July 11, to August 10, 2008. It's a gorgeous and very popular outdoor exhibition and last year there were 108 ceramic artists present. Each time I walked through the grounds, I saw something I hadn't seen before!

Textured jug. 24 cm x 14 cm. Stoneware.

This photo was among those that we sent. I started doing textured slab work when I was in Winnipeg. The technique was taught to me by my clay mentor, Kevin K. I have made many a textured piece but none of them really took off until I began to use this bright cobalt blue glaze - VCAA blue (Val Cushing).

When making such pieces I cut a thick slab of clay, make textures in it with various tools (grout trowel, fork, hallow pencils, seashells, etc.) then throw the slab, always textured side up, until it stretches out to the desired thickness...or thiness, depending on how one looks at it.

The throwing of the slab takes a really long time to perfect. When one first begins this technique, the slab is often lopsided - too thick in places and too thin in other places. It's prone to tearing and splitting.

After the slab is stiffened up a bit, I wrap it around a form - usually a cardboard cylinder. If too dry when wrapped around the form, it will crack along the deepest textures. I let it set up for awhile then add the bottom and when that is set, I remove the form. When it's leather hard, I add the handle and do any finishing work, like tidying up the inside of the vessel.

After bisque firing, I sand the bottom to make certain it doesn't wobble, wash it then glaze it by dipping it into the bucket of glaze. Once it's glazed I wipe back the glaze so that the deepest crevices still have glaze, but the shallowest textures are revealed.

3 comments:

Yayo said...

Hello, dear Lysa-marie, good for you! I have always enjoyed your work, so it is waonderful you wish to share it along with the studio, lake, photos and most of all, JF. Keep it up. I find you in the lines you write!!! Will continue checking.
You may wish to check my Blog also at
http://rosario-umana.blogspot.com/

I have found blogging is a joy, to be able to communicate, show photos, share and a wonderful feeling of the known and the unknown visitors makes it a challenge. who will want to be back and read some more?
In our familiy blogging has been quite an experience. You may see my son´s blog, a deep, beautiful and touching experience to be there with him during Claudia´s cancer and death, then his mourning (?) and now recovering. It is http://shareclaudiashealth.blogspot.com/

Keep up your work, dear LM. Hugs, Rosario

Lisa-Marie said...

Thanks Roasrio! Thanks for the comment and compliments!

I haven't been to your blog yet but am going to right away. I have been to your son's blog when you wrote and told us that Claudia had passed away. I read some of it and it was very. very moving. I hope he and his children are going well.

canuck_cougar said...

Dear Sister, your new blog is beautiful and well designed. A pleasure to look at and to read. I prefer this format to your previous blog and I will be back to read more. I'm excited to learn about your techniques! See you soon in the 'Peg -Toni